December is usually a good time to start planning the next year for your cake business.
Although we may all be busy this Christmas period. It is a good idea to take some time off and plan what you would like to achieve for the forthcoming year.
This week I am going to share my stage process for creating a plan for 2018 that is easy to follow and will enable you to bring in the results you want in your business:
- Stage 1: Formulate a Business plan. Right now I am in the process of writing a new business plan for my business. I know when we hear about having a business plan. We think it must be a complex document with lots of numbers and graphs. Think of a business plan has having a road map which will specify what you want to achieve in your business and how you can go about achieving those goals. If you have never created a business plan before, I would advise that you at least do one. It can just be a 1-2 page document. Here I have included a simple guide to creating a business plan for your business.
- Stage 2: Write your Goals. Think about a goal or goals you would want to achieve this time next year. This could be a financial goal, a personal goal, a customer goal, an income goal, or any goal you want to attain by 31st December 2018. Make a list of your goals (this is different from resolutions). However, when writing these goals, it should be something that is achievable (don’t say that you want to earn N1billion in 1 year) and it must be something that your mind knows it can achieve.
- Step 3: Make a plan. You cannot just say I want to get 30 new customers by this time next year or want to make N5million by Christmas 2018, if you do not develop or strategize a plan to make it happen. If you want more customers, you will need to develop a marketing strategy. If you want to make more money, you may need to expand your product line, or increase your prices and so on, You cannot have a dream without making steps to actualize that dream.
- Step 4: Set an achievable date on a calendar. To bring your goals to life and to make sure it is achievable, I recommend getting a 2018 hard copy calendar and pencil in something each day that you will do to achieve your goals. I have found out that when you write something down and you put it somewhere where you can see it every day, you will be more inclined to take action. You don’t have to do something that is spectacular every day. You can do something simple like post pictures on social media. The essence of this is to propel yourself to do something everyday to achieve your goals.
- Step 5: Group your calendar into quarters (that is, Jan – March, April -June, July – Sept, Oct – Dec). And then write something you want to achieve each quarter. For example, if you want to have 30 new customers in 2018, that means you will need to get about 7-8 customers per quarter. By breaking down your BIG goal into little goals, it becomes more achievable. So allocate one task/goal per month over the course of each quarter.
- Step 6: Schedule the activities. Pencil in times, days for you to do the activities you need to do that will help you meet your monthly business task/goal. Do this for everyday in every month for the first quarter for now.
- Step 7: Schedule some ‘Me’ time. We all need a break now and then. All work and no play makes Jenifer a dull and grumpy cake business owners. So in your calendar allocate some time where you will can just rest or go on holiday. It will be an opportunity for you and the kids to go somewhere or you and your spouse to do something together. During this time you shall you take any cake orders. You are on holiday. It is very important that you take some time off away from your business at times.
- Step 8: Treat yourself. Lastly I will recommend that you schedule a day in each quarter where you will treat yourself. You have been working so hard, and we sometimes forget to reward ourselves. When you reward yourself for achieving a goal, you motivate yourself further. You can do something like taking you and a friend to a very nice restaurant, or you can buy something nice for yourself. It’s nice when you are working that you have a treat to look forward to down the line.
I hope I have equipped you with the tools to take action and have a plan to achieve your goals for 2018. Please do not say you will do it later. Believe me, something will come up and you will forget. Do it now
First bit of action I want you to take? In the comments below, share with me what item you’re going to take action on and the results you want to achieve in 2018. Don’t just think it, write it down as putting it down in black and white will bring it to life and just be what you need to motivate you to action.
Here is to a fruitful 2018.
Hello, my name is Rotimicakelady and I am a cake business coach that teaches cake business owners how to grow and have a profitable cake business so that they have a constant stream of customers buying their delicious treats.
I have been running my own successful home based cake business for some years now. I have also been teaching bakers through my online courses who are struggling with low sales, with strategies on how to market, and price their cakes for profit.
In addition I am also run a Facebook Group where I coach, offer support and help bakers in their businesses.
I have helped over 50 bakers through my online course ‘A comprehensive guide to starting your cake business in 30 days’ with much needed information on how to start a cake business in Nigeria. I also teach close to 4000 cake enthusiasts through my Facebook Group how to run a money making cake business.
I have been featured in ‘Naija Top Baker’ magazine, one of Nigeria’s foremost cake magazines and also been a Guest Speaker at the Bakery World Convention.
If you are struggling with getting customers for their cakes, I can help you solve this problem by showing you how to market, sell, price, plan, structure and brand your business so you are constantly selling to the right people who want your cakes