We all want this year to be better than last year. We dream of how our lives will be if we had more money, less bills, a bigger house, a car, less weight and so on.
So instead of dreaming, what are you going to do about it? What are you going to do differently this year to make your cake business better?
What practical steps are you going to do to achieve your dreams?
Well here is a plan for you:
How can you make 2018 different for your Cake Business?
If you haven’t taken the time to sit down and plan your goals for this year – NOW is the time to do it.
Think about what you want to achieve this 2018.
How much money do you want to make each month from your business?
How do you want your Cake Business to GROW this year?
What business courses are you going to take this year
What new equipment do you want to buy this year?
To successfully achieve a goal, you need to have an action plan
Knowing exactly what you want this year, breaking these steps down into little tasks you can complete daily will ensure you will reach your goals.
Don’t continue to go into this year without your plan. Write it down! Create a schedule of each task for each week.
What didn’t you do in 2017 that your regret now? What needs to change this year so you aren’t repeating next year?
How will your cake business be different this year so you are being a better business owner?
Don’t wait by the phone waiting for customers. Come up with a strategy for getting customers.
Use this month to create a personal development plan that will help you think of ways to make more money and attract clients for your business.
TAKE GOOD PHOTOS OF YOUR CAKES
Taking beautiful, high quality photos of your cakes should be as important as making a good quality cake. Your cakes being visually appealing will make more potential customers stay on your social media page.
You don’t have to own an expensive digital camera to take good photos. A smartphone can take good pictures.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when photographing your cakes:
- Use natural light-– nothing beats it. It makes colours pop and whites true.
- Use a white background. Don’t put anything behind a cake that competes for your attention. Make the cake the thing you can’t takes your eyes off. A plain white wall is a great choice
- Clear all the cutter from the table
- Photograph your cake from lots of different angles.
- Add props – flowers, macarons, sweets, a cup of coffee next to your cupcakes, even a hand reaching up to hold smaller cakes and cupcakes. These are all great ways you can add some drama or dynamic movement to your images and give your viewers the opportunity to connect with the image by imagining themselves in that situation.
- Think of composition- Composition wise, each cake will be different – some have all the detail on the top, so shoot from above. Some sections you may want to show off are on the side, so a nice simple front on shot will be best.
- Make sure the feeling of the cake shines through – ultimately every cake you create tells a story, just like a painting, a portrait or any work of art. Look at the images, and really make sure you are capturing the essence of the cake.
BE ON INSTAGRAM
Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform today with millions of users and as a cake business you should be on it.
But before you join, here are some tips to get started:.
- Only post your best photos, meaning well styled, well lit and with no extra clutter in the background. It will determine whether someone will want to follow you or not. It’s the first thing they see when they visit your account so make the invitation to follow you as irresistible as possible.
- Post pics of all the behind the scenes action when you are making a cake.
- Make sure your Instagram handle is on all your marketing materials and social media platforms.
- You can create a dedicated hashtag and use it on every post. For instance, when i post something I include the hashtag #bakingbusinessschool. So you too can create your own hashtag.
- Use hashtags for each and every post. The more hashtags, the more reach you will have.
- Use your bio link to drive traffic to your newest content.
- Post something personal with write descriptive captions. I have found out that telling a personal story generate engagement and sharing.
- Use a call to action to tell people what you want them to do with your posts. Tell them to share for a chance to win a prize. Find clever ways to get people to share your content.
- Find local influencers in your market and contact them for collaborations. This usually means offering free products in exchange for a shoutout to potentially tens of thousands or more local followers.
LIMIT YOUR SELECTION
Make cakes you enjoy and it will show in your work. Being a maker of all cakes will just overwhelm you especially if you don’t have much help and are not skilled in all the cake techniques .There are some types of cakes I don’t like doing , for instance, wedding cakes. I don’t enjoy them and I probably wouldn’t give it my best, so I don’t offer them.
It it’s smarter and less labour intensive to maximize on your strengths instead of spending a lot of time doing amateurish work on something you do not enjoy.
What types of cakes do you enjoy doing? It is ok if fondant is not your strong point. You can be the buttercream cake queen or be a cupcake master.
Your energy is much better spent on using your good skills and making them excellent by taking on challenging work that you enjoy.
SORT YOUR FINANCES
You need to be on top of your finances to have a sustainable cake business. You need to establish a record keeping process if you want to succeed in your cake business. And these are the things you should start doing:
- Have a Separate Bank Account for your Business.
- Have a Business Plan for your Cake Business
- Develop a Chart of Accounts for your Cake Business
- Keep all your Business Invoices and Receipts
- Keep Records of all your Business Income and Expenses
- Keep a Ledger or Account book of expenses and update the ledger regularly
- Review your Business Bookkeeping Accounting Entries
So please take these tips in mind and let’s make 2018 an awesome year for our businesses.
Would love to hear from you. What things are you going to do this 2018 to improve your businesses?
Hello, my name is Rotimicakelady and I am a cake business coach that teaches cake business owners how to grow and have a profitable cake business so that they have a constant stream of customers buying their delicious treats.
I have been running my own successful home based cake business for some years now. I have also been teaching bakers through my online courses who are struggling with low sales, with strategies on how to market, and price their cakes for profit.
In addition I am also run a Facebook Group where I coach, offer support and help bakers in their businesses.
I have helped over 50 bakers through my online course ‘A comprehensive guide to starting your cake business in 30 days’ with much needed information on how to start a cake business in Nigeria. I also teach close to 4000 cake enthusiasts through my Facebook Group how to run a money making cake business.
I have been featured in ‘Naija Top Baker’ magazine, one of Nigeria’s foremost cake magazines and also been a Guest Speaker at the Bakery World Convention.
If you are struggling with getting customers for their cakes, I can help you solve this problem by showing you how to market, sell, price, plan, structure and brand your business so you are constantly selling to the right people who want your cakes.