- 250 g butter or margarine
- 200 g caster sugar
- 60 g golden syrup
- 4 large eggs
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs coffee essence
For the filling and decoration:
- 200 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 400 g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbs coffee essence
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, for dusting
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
- Put the butter, sugar, syrup and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and add the coffee essence. Whisk together for 1-2 mins until the mixture is smooth, light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins, until well-risen and firm to the touch.
- Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Beat the butter, icing sugar, coffee and 2 tbs water together until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Place one of the cakes on a flat serving plate and spread with half the buttercream. Place the second cake on top and spread with the rest of the buttercream, swirling the top.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
(not my recipe)
SUBSCRIBE TO BAKING BUSINESS SCHOOL
Subscribe to Our newsletter to get the following: - Be the First to Know About new Updates and Posts from Baking Business School - Receive exclusive offers sent directly to your inbox - Get superb discounts to our Courses Enter Your Name and Email Address Below