Today is National Strawberries & Cream Day.
Do you want to know all about strawberries and have a delicious strawberry cake recipe.
Then read more below.
The strawberry got its name from the common practice of growing berries under straw to protect them from frost.
The first American species of strawberry was cultivated about 1835.
The strawberry is a member of the rose family, which is why the strawberry plant sometimes gives off a rose-like aroma. A greenish-white fruit grows from the flower and eventually ripens into a deep red berry.
- The strawberry is the only fruit to carry its seeds on the outside.
- There are 200 seeds on the average strawberry. Each of these seeds has the genetic potential to become a new variety of strawberry since no two seeds are the same.
- Berries taste best at room temperature, so remove them from the refrigerator an hour or two before serving.
- To help berries retain flavor, texture and nutrients, avoid washing or removing their caps until ready for use.
- Remove the green caps with a light twisting motion or with the point of a paring knife. It’s as easy as a twist of the wrist. Let drain, then pat dry after washing.
- Strawberries are rich in antioxidants.
- Eight strawberries contain more vitamin C than one orange, and have 149% of your Daily Value for vitamin C.
- Strawberries are low-calorie.
- Strawberries are fat-free and salt free: no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium.
- Strawberries are also rich in vitamins A and C, folic acid, selenium, calcium polyphenols.
Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 400g caster sugar
- 1/2 sachet strawberry jelly
- 250g butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 400g plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 250ml milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 125g strawberry puree made from fresh or frozen strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour two 23cm (9 in) round cake tins.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and powdered strawberry jelly until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their tins over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.
Hello, my name is Rotimicakelady and I am a cake business coach that teaches cake business owners how to grow and have a profitable cake business so that they have a constant stream of customers buying their delicious treats.
I have been running my own successful home based cake business for some years now. I have also been teaching bakers through my online courses who are struggling with low sales, with strategies on how to market, and price their cakes for profit.
In addition I am also run a Facebook Group where I coach, offer support and help bakers in their businesses.
I have helped over 50 bakers through my online course ‘A comprehensive guide to starting your cake business in 30 days’ with much needed information on how to start a cake business in Nigeria. I also teach close to 4000 cake enthusiasts through my Facebook Group how to run a money making cake business.
I have been featured in ‘Naija Top Baker’ magazine, one of Nigeria’s foremost cake magazines and also been a Guest Speaker at the Bakery World Convention.
If you are struggling with getting customers for their cakes, I can help you solve this problem by showing you how to market, sell, price, plan, structure and brand your business so you are constantly selling to the right people who want your cakes.